Important Factors for Attaining and Sustaining
Optimal Health and Longevity
What You Can Learn from Those Who’ve Lived the Longest
If you’re really interested in living long and being healthy for as many years as possible, learn how to maintain youthfulness and well-being on all levels. That’s what it takes, addressing all levels.
- Aubrey de Grey, Ph.D, author of Ending Aging – The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime
- Dan Buettner, author of The Blue Zone – Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest.
Both of these men agree that longevity is about far more than your genes. In fact, it is believed that your genetic makeup accounts for only about 10 percent of your potential longevity, while a variety of lifestyle factors account for the rest.
Buettner’s book looks at the lifestyles of centenarians across the world. Common denominators among the people who have lived the longest include:
- Eating a plant-based diet
- Drinking diuretic-type teas on a regular basis and plenty of filtered water everyday
- Living in areas that promote regular physical activity, such as daily walking as the main means of getting around or other types of daily exercise
- Associating with friends, family, practitioners and mentors who encourage a healthy, natural, active lifestyle
- Having effective strategies for coping with stress, such as prayer, meditation, strong social networks, and adequate rest
- Eating foods that are organically grown, avoiding genetically modified foods that are now suggested through research to pose problems to our health and the well-being of our offspring
In fact, being able to effectively cope with stress, it turns out, is one of the MAJOR common denominators for those who live long, healthy lives.
One of the proposed reasons for this strong link is that stress promotes inflammation, so being able to reduce the inflammatory response in your body can have a significant impact on your overall health. This is also believed to be one of the major reasons why so many centenarians appear to be more or less immune to brain degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
What Can You do NOW to Maximize Your Lifespan?
Of all the healthy lifestyle strategies I know of that can have a significant impact on your longevity, normalizing your insulin and leptin levels is probably the most important Elevated insulin levels are one of the key physical influences that contribute to rapid aging, and there is no question that optimizing insulin levels is an absolute necessity if you want to slow down your aging process.
Consuming sugar and grains will increase your insulin level, which is the equivalent of slamming your foot on your aging accelerator. There’s simply no more potent way to accelerate aging than sticking to a diet full of sugar and grains.
Top “Anti-Aging” Recommendations
- Learn how to effectively cope with stress: As discussed at the beginning of this article, effective coping mechanisms is a major longevity-promoting factor as stress has a direct impact on inflammation, which in turn underlies many of the chronic diseases that kill people prematurely every day. Meditation, prayer, physical activity and exercise are all viable options that can help you maintain emotional and mental equilibrium. I also strongly believe in using energy psychology tools such as the Meridian Tapping Technique (MTT) to address deeper, oftentimes hidden emotional problems.
- Eat a healthy diet: A nutritional plan is based on natural whole foods, is your first step toward increasing your chances of living a longer, healthier life. The heart of my program is the elimination, or at the very least, drastic reduction of grains and sugar in your diet, which is a far simpler way of restricting your calorie intake naturally, without suffering.
How to Live Longer…Starting Today
- Proper nutrition: Feeding your body the fuel it needs based on your individual biochemistry rather than a one-size-fits-all regimen, regular exercise is such a big key to Longevity, and maintaining emotional wellbeing plays a much larger role in this than you can imagine. This aspect should never be underestimated in the anti-aging quest.
- Rather than sitting idly by, waiting for some “magic pill” that will stop or even reverse the aging process, you can take control of your health, and increase your lifespan, starting right NOW. TOMORROW never comes, so START and CONTINUE from TODAY!!